Process & Commissioning Manager in construction of a new greenfield cheese factory in Ireland
Norwegian TINE AS, that produces, distributes and exports cheese, built in 2018 to 2020 a new cheese dairy for the production of 20.000 tonnes Jarlsberg® cheese per year. Previously, Dairygold Speciality Cheese produced a part of TINE AS’ Jarlsberg® cheese, and in a commercial collaboration this new dairy is built next to Dairygold’s facility in Mogeely, County Cork, in Ireland. Dairygold supplies TINE with raw milk and various utilities and buys back the excess whey, which they process in their own facilities.
The construction of the new dairy included everything except milk reception, processing of whey and a few utilities.
Process Engineering’s role in the project was to support the overall project management, make sure that all contracts were followed and that process equipment met the current EU legislation and the customer’s standards.
Process Engineering participated in the project as Process & Commissioning Manager to manage the overall project management in cooperation with the project director and take on his role when he was not present. The projected lasted from 2018 until the factory’s commercial start in the summer of 2020.
As Process & Commissioning Manager we had a coordinating role and had the responsibility to:
- Prepare commissioning plans in regards to when the different subcontractors arrived on site.
- Approve all process equipment on behalf of TINE.
- Make sure all contracts were complied with.
- Perform FAT test to ensure that all equipment had the desired quality and also to ensure correct installation on site.
- Ensure correct documentation according to EU legislation, the customer’s wishes and specific requirements for material quality and traceability.
- Participate in construction meetings.
- Coordinate all subcontractors on site and prepare plans for what should be present and ready when the subcontractors met on site.
- Traning of staff, who operate the plant.
- Calculation of emission during commissioning.
Service and scope of the project
Our service and the scope of the project include:
- Project management
- Schedule management
- Commissioning management & planning
- Close contact with all process contractors
- Identification and escalation of possible problems
- Approve all process equipment and the installation of it
- Report (weekly with review of status)
- Implementation of tools for control and documentation